Yarmouth rallies for improbable win over Cape in instant classic

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

YARMOUTH—The phrase, “instant classic” or “game for the ages” simply doesn’t do this one justice.

For all but four minutes Friday evening, Yarmouth’s football team played from behind in its showdown of unbeatens against visiting Cape Elizabeth.

The Clippers could have rolled over and surrendered on multiple occasions, but they made the most of every last one of the game’s 2,880 seconds and produced an ending that will talked about for a long, long time.

And a result, Yarmouth now has the inside track for the top seed and homefield advantage for the upcoming playoffs.

In the regular season’s penultimate contest, the Clippers and Capers produced the most memorable chapter yet in their short, but riveting rivalry, a game which left dropped jaws, heart palpitations and gray hairs in its wake.

On the opening kickoff, Yarmouth fumbled and Cape Elizabeth junior Brett McAlister’s 29-yard return for a touchdown gave the visitors a 6-0 lead just 10 seconds in. 

And fans wouldn’t come up for air the rest of the night.

The Clippers battled back and tied the score, 6-6, on a 2-yard scoring run from senior captain Jack Snyder, who committed that initial fumble, and after the Capers went back on top on a 13-yard scoring pass from senior quarterback Jack O’Rourke to classmate Nate Ingalls, Yarmouth rallied to tie it again, 13-13, as junior quarterback John Thoma hit senior Cody Cook with a 15-yard strike.

There was little separation in the second quarter as well, as Cape Elizabeth scored on an 81-yard bomb from O’Rourke to Ingalls, but missed the extra point, and the Clippers took a short-lived 20-19 lead when Snyder scored on a 1-yard run and senior Andrew Beatty kicked the extra point. 

Undaunted, the Capers drove back down the field and went back on top on a third O’Rourke-to-Ingalls TD pass (this one from 29 yards) and an O’Rourke-to-junior Ben Ekedahl two-point conversion pass to make it 27-20. As time expired in the first half, Beatty drilled a 43-yard field goal and the game went to the break with Cape Elizabeth clinging to a 27-23 advantage.

After combining for nearly 500 yards in the first half, both teams slowed down a bit in the third quarter, but the Capers took their biggest lead of the night, 33-23, when senior Matt Graham scored on a 41-yard run.

Cape Elizabeth was on the brink of wrapping it up, but with 7:26 to go, Thoma and Snyder connected for a 13-yard scoring strike and Beatty’s PAT cut Yarmouth’s deficit to three. The Capers again answered, chewing nearly six minutes off the clock and driving to the Clippers’ 7 before being stopped and settling for a 23-yard Ekedahl field goal with 1:23 left in the game.

Yarmouth had one final chance and made the most of it.

After a sensational individual effort from Cook on a kickoff return which put the ball at Cape Elizabeth’s 43, Thoma turned to short passes to get the Clippers close, then, with just 28 seconds showing, Thoma hit Cook for a 6-yard score. Beatty added the extra point and the Clippers had completed the comeback.

When junior Remi LeBlanc intercepted an O’Rourke desperation pass at the horn, Yarmouth’s 37-36 victory was complete and a wild celebration ensued.

The Clippers managed to steal victory from the jaws of sure defeat, improved to 7-0, cemented its top ranking in Class C South and dropped the valiant and high powered Capers to 6-1 in the process.

“It was unbelievable, but it’s always like that with Cape,” said Yarmouth coach Jason Veilleux. “No matter what, we always have these tight games. Our kids stepped up.” 

Worth the wait

Cape Elizabeth and Yarmouth have been on a collision course all season.

The Capers started with a 35-18 home win over Fryeburg Academy, then drubbed visiting Poland with surprising ease, 47-6. After eking out a palpitating 35-34 overtime win at Spruce Mountain, Cape Elizabeth romped at Freeport (56-12) and held off visiting Mountain Valley (20-12). Last weekend, the Capers got a fight from host Gray-New Gloucester, but a late interception return for a touchdown proved to be the difference in a 7-0 victory.

The Clippers were workmanlike in home wins over Lake Region (31-13) and Mountain Valley (40-14), blanked host Poland, 49-0, won at Fryeburg Academy (48-12), then edged visiting Wells in a come-from-behind thriller, 16-15, before prevailing at Spruce Mountain last weekend, 29-8.

Both programs have enjoyed great success in their relatively young existence, but prior to 2013, the schools, which are ancient Western Maine Conference rivals, hadn’t met in a countable game on the gridiron.

That season, Yarmouth won, 27-7, at Cape Elizabeth in the regular season, then the Capers turned the tables in the Western B quarterfinals, winning at the Clippers, 27-14.

Last year, in the regular season meeting, Cape Elizabeth let a huge lead slip away and Yarmouth pulled even, but as time expired, Ekedahl’s 36-yard field gave the Capers a 31-28 victory. Again, the teams met in the quarterfinals and again, the road team prevailed, as this time, the Clippers sprung a minor upset, 14-12.

Friday, Cape Elizabeth looked as if it was going to stay perfect all-time at Yarmouth, but the Clippers cooked up a comeback that had to be seen to be believed.

On the opening kickoff, Snyder fielded the ball at his 20, ran for nearly 10 yards, then was dragged down and the ball came loose.

McAlister scooped it up and took off and 29-yards later, he was in the end zone.

With 11:50 still to play in the first quarter, even though Ekedahl missed the extra point wide right, the Capers had drawn first blood.

Yarmouth wasn’t only stymied by turnovers Friday, the Clippers were also hamstrung by penalties and their first offensive series set the tone.

Yarmouth started at its 35 after the kickoff went out of bounds and after senior Lucas Uhl gained a yard, a 10-yard Snyder burst was called back because of a block in the back. That short-circuited the Clippers’ drive, as Cook was thrown for a three-yard loss and Uhl gained just three yards on third-and-14. After a 29-yard Thoma punt, Cape Elizabeth got the ball back at its 37.

Yarmouth’s defense came out strong, forcing a three-and-out, and the Clippers got the ball back at their 27 and in seven plays and 2 minutes, 11 seconds drove 73 yards for the tying score.

A six-yard run by Uhl on third-and-2 got things started. Cook then made his first highlight reel play, catching a Thoma pass with one hand, then racing 51 yards to the Capers’ 4. After Cook ran for two yards, Snyder capped the drive with a 2-yard TD dive to make it 6-6. Beatty missed the extra point wide left, but with 6:53 to play in the quarter, Yarmouth was even.

Cape Elizabeth got the ball back at its 21 and embarked on a long march of its own, 10 plays and four minutes, to go back on top.

After Graham ran for eight yards, O’Rourke completed his first pass, a 20-yard connection to Ekedahl. Runs of a yard by McAlister and six yards by O’Rourke and an O’Rourke incomplete pass forced a punt, but Ingalls went back to do the honors and instead of kicking, kept it on a fake and gained five yards to move the chains. On the next play, O’Rourke found Ekedahl for 24 yards down the right sideline to put the ball at the Yarmouth 15. Graham was thrown for a one yard loss by Clippers senior Joey Fortin, then ran for three yards, setting up third-and-8, where O’Rourke scrambled, threw downfield and Ingalls adjusted his route, came back for the ball, caught it, then fell forward into the end zone to complete a 13-yard scoring play. This time, Ekedahl added the PAT and with 2:48 remaining in the period, the Capers led, 13-6.

A penalty on the ensuing kickoff forced the Clippers to start at their 20, but they managed to drive 80 yards on eight plays in 1:40 to pull even again.

After Uhl ran for a yard, Thoma threw a pretty pass to freshman Noah Eckersley-Ray for 34 yards down the right sideline. Thoma then hit senior Noah Colby-George for 10 more yards and after an incomplete pass (which Ingalls almost picked off), Thoma connected with senior Andrew Kinsman for seven yards, then found Eckersley-Ray for 13 yards down the far sideline to put the ball at the Cape Elizabeth 15. After an incomplete pass, Thoma threw over the middle to Cook at the 5 and Cook eluded two tacklers and found the end zone for a touchdown. With exactly a minute to play in an explosive first quarter, Beatty tied the score, 13-13, with the extra point.

As the first period gave way to the second, the visitors stalled for the first time. After sophomore Ryan Weare ran for three yards, McAlister was thrown for a seven-yard loss by Colby-George on the final play of the first quarter (in which Yarmouth had a 152-71 edge in yardage). On the first snap of the second period, O’Rourke scrambled for four yards, but that set up a fourth-and-10, forcing a punt.

The Clippers got the ball back at their 27, but couldn’t take the lead as they too went three-and-out. Uhl ran for two yards, Snyder gained three, then Thoma threw incomplete.

Cape Elizabeth got the ball back at its 18 and in two plays, hit paydirt again.

After a one yard run by Graham, O’Rourke launched a bomb down the right sideline to Ingalls, who was interfered with, but still managed to haul the ball in, then race to the end zone to complete a breathtaking 81-yard scoring play. Ekedahl missed the extra point wide right, but with 8:54 to go before halftime, the Capers had a 19-13 lead.

After Cape Elizabeth was offsides on the ensuing kickoff and had to kick again, LeBlanc returned the ball to the Yarmouth 47 and the hosts were in business again. Ten plays, 53 yards and 3:58 later, the Clippers took the lead for the first time.

After Snyder gained 21 yards on a sweep to the right, Uhl ran for two yards and seven more, then lost a yard, setting up fourth-and-2 at the Capers’ 24. Cook got free down the right sideline and didn’t stop until crossing the goal line, but a block in the back penalty negated the score, although it did give Yarmouth a first down at the 18. After Uhl ran for a yard and Thoma gained 10 yards on a keeper to set up first-and-goal, Thoma ran for two yards, Uhl picked up four and Snyder capped the march with a 1-yard plunge with 4:50 to go before halftime. Beatty’s PAT made it 20-19 Clippers.

Cape Elizabeth bounced right back, driving 75 yards on 10 plays in 3:16.

After Graham was held to no gain and O’Rourke threw incomplete, the quarterback threw incomplete again on third-and-10, but a pass interference call, which was dubious, kept the drive alive and gave the Capers a first down at the 40. Graham ran for five yards, then nine for a first down at the Yarmouth 46. After a fumbled exchange led to a loss of a yard, O’Rourke hit Ekedahl for 10 yards and Graham ran for eight to move the chains. O’Rourke threw incomplete, but on second down, with 1:27 left before halftime, O’Rourke threw a long pass down the left sideline and Ingalls, after a stop-and-go move, beat a defender and caught the ball for a 29-yard score. This time, Cape Elizabeth coach Aaron Filieo chose to go for the two-point conversion and O’Rourke hit Ekedahl to make it 27-20.

In a sign of things to come, the Clippers showed they could move quickly to get a late score at the end of a half and crept closer by the break.

Yarmouth started at its 20 with 87 seconds left in the half and passes of nine yards to senior Jack Venden and 16 to Eckersley-Ray gave it a first down at the 45. After a false start backed the Clippers up five yards, Thoma threw incomplete, then scrambled for seven yards and completed an eight-yard pass to Colby-George to the Capers’ 45. After an incomplete pass, Thoma connected with Snyder for five yards, then the tandem hooked up again for 14 more to the 26. An incomplete pass brought the clock almost to zero and forced Veilleux to turn to Beatty, who drilled a 43-yard field goal as time expired, capping an 11 play, 54 yard, 1:27 drive, cutting the deficit to 27-23.

In the wild first half, Yarmouth had 264 yards, while Cape Elizabeth tallied 232.

Thoma threw for 182 yards on 11 of 18 passing with a touchdown, while O’Rourke connected on 6 of 12 passes, good for 177 yards and three TDs.

“They ran good routes and Jack’s a great quarterback,” Cook said, of the Capers’ passing attack. “He scrambles really well. He forces the defensive backs to cover for a long time.”

After combining for only 26 points in last year’s playoff game, the teams put up a total of 50 in the first 24 minutes Friday.

“I thought it would be like last year’s playoff game, a 14-12 kind of game, tight,” Veilleux said. “Both teams have great defenses, but tonight it was about offense. They’re probably the most well balanced offense we’ve seen. We’ve seen traditional running teams and teams that tried to throw. A good, balanced team like this gave us trouble.”

In the second half, the game more resembled the defensive struggle many expected.

The Capers got the ball first and started to feature Graham, who gained 13 yards for a first down, then ran for seven more. After a fumbled exchange, Graham gained two more, but Cape Elizabeth had to punt and the Clippers started at their 22.

After Cook lost a yard, Snyder gained 11 yards on a sweep, but a 13-yard Snyder run on the next snap was negated by a penalty, setting up first-and-25. Snyder caught a pass for no yards, then Thoma threw incomplete. On third-and-25, Thoma kept the ball for no gain and the hosts had to punt.

With 7:31 left in the third period, the Capers started at their 35, but after Weare was held to no gain and Ekedahl caught a pass for eight yards, Fortin pressured O’Rourke into throwing incomplete and after a punt, the Clippers got the ball back at their 31.

Cook put on a show on the first play of the next drive, cutting back and dragging tacklers 15 yards for a first down. After Cook ran for five yards, then for four yards and Uhl ran for four and a first down, Uhl ran for 10 more to set up a first down at the Cape Elizabeth 27. After an illegal motion penalty backed Yarmouth up, LeBlanc was hit by Graham and fumbled and Cape Elizabeth junior Nat Jordan recovered at the Capers’ 35.

That set the stage for Cape Elizabeth’s final touchdown drive, a five play, 65 yard march which took up 72 seconds.

After two incomplete passes, O’Rourke hit Ekedahl along the left sideline for 17 yards, with the receiver making a terrific effort to catch the ball before falling out of bounds for a first down. A seven-yard Graham run moved the ball to the Clippers’ 41 and was followed by another Graham scamper, as he broke free up the middle and didn’t stop until crossing the goal line for a 41-yard TD with 3:14 left in the third. Ekedahl missed the PAT wide left and the Capers’ lead was 10 points, 33-23.

When Yarmouth went three-and-out, Cape Elizabeth had a chance to put the game away, but as the third period gave way to the fourth, a promising drive stalled in Clippers’ territory.

After Weare ran for three yards, O’Rourke hit senior Justin Guerrette for 16 yards on a quick hitter out of the backfield. That moved the ball across midfield. Graham ran for eight yards, Weare picked up one and on the first play of the final stanza, O’Rourke kept the ball for a first down at the 35. The Capers couldn’t finish it off, however, as Graham gained a yard and two incompletions forced a punt, which proved to be a gem off the foot of Ingalls that thanks to a diving stop by Ekedahl, pinned Yarmouth at its 1.

With 10:31 remaining, the Clippers faced a 10-point deficit and 99 yards of real estate to get back in the game, but in a drive of epic proportions, Yarmouth marched the length of the field in 13 plays with just 3:05 coming off the clock.

After Snyder caught a pass for two yards, Thoma threw incomplete and the Clippers were in desperate straits, facing third-and-8, but Thoma threw a gem of a pass down the left sideline to Snyder for 26 yards and a first down at the 29. With some breathing room, Yarmouth continued to thrive on offense, as Thoma hit Snyder for five yards and on the next down, Thoma scrambled for eight and a first down at the 42. Uhl then broke free for 23 yards into Capers’ territory. After Snyder gained three yards, a facemask penalty added on five more yards to the 27. Thoma threw incomplete, setting up third-and-2, where Cook caught a pass in the flat, then fought his way to the first down marker. Snyder ran for eight yards, then for one and on third down, Uhl moved the chains with a three-yard burst. That set the stage for Snyder, who caught a pass in the left flat, bounced off a tackler and broke two more tackles en route to the end zone for a 13-yard score. Beatty’s extra point pulled the hosts within three, 33-30, with 7:26 still to play.

“We decided to go no-huddle in the second half, which made a huge difference,” Veilleux said. “We moved the ball a little quicker.”

Cape Elizabeth then embarked on a drive which ate up most of the remaining time and nearly salted away the win.

After a 32 yard kickoff return by Ekedahl put the ball at the Capers’ 37, O’Rourke scrambled for 17 yards, but a holding penalty set up first-and-28.

That proved to be no problem, as Graham ran for 10 yards and O’Rourke again hit Guerrette on a short pass that went for 26 yards and a first down at the Yarmouth 45. After a false start moved Cape Elizabeth back to midfield, Graham ran for two yards and an illegal man downfield penalty set up second-and-18, but again the visitors dug out of the hole, as O’Rourke hit Ekedahl for nine yards, then found Ingalls for 13 more on a comeback route for a first down at the 31. Graham ran for seven yards, then picked up 15 more for a first-and-goal at the 9. After a Yarmouth timeout, Graham ran for a yard. After another Clippers’ timeout, Graham gained one more. Out of Yarmouth’s final timeout, the Capers had a chance to ice the win with a touchdown, but O’Rourke’s pass to the end zone appeared to be caught by Ekedahl only to be knocked away at the last second by sophomore defender Henry Venden and that stopped the clock.

“We were just thinking that we wanted to keep our undefeated season going,” said Snyder, of the defensive stand. “That showed our heart. We have a no-quit attitude.”

That forced Ekedahl to boot a 23-yard field goal with 1:23 to go, but even though they were down, 36-30, the Clippers knew they still had a pulse.

And seconds later, Cook made sure they had more than that.

Surprisingly, Cape Elizabeth chose to kick the ball to the most dangerous player on the field and after initially bobbling it, Cook grabbed the ball at the Yarmouth 28, then ran to his right, weaved back to his left and cut back again, breaking several tackles before finally being brought down at the Capers’ 43 with 1:10 to go.

“I was so exhausted,” Cook said. “Our guys stayed on their blocks, I found a seam, weaved back and forth and tried to do something to give our team life.”

“Cody’s return made a huge difference,” Veilleux said. “He’s got the heart of a champion. He had a huge game, offense, defense, special teams.”

With no timeouts, the Clippers had to hurry and Thoma hit Cook for 17 yards to the 26, then hooked up with Colby-George for eight more to the 18. A 12 yard pass to Snyder, who again broke tackles, set the ball at the 6 with 40 seconds to go.

On first-and-goal, Thoma threw toward the end zone, but it was tipped incomplete.

The next pass proved to be the winner.

On second down, Thoma rolled right, Cook got behind a defender and Thoma dropped a perfect throw into Cook’s hands in the back right corner of the end zone and with 28 seconds to go, Yarmouth had pulled even.

“Thoma had a great game passing,” Cook said. “He made great reads. He put it in a perfect spot where I was the only one who could catch it. He’s having a great season.”

“Thoma had a big game,” Veilleux said. “I got on him a bit because I thought he was making mental errors, but he stepped up big when he had to. He’s getting better each week.”

There was still the very important matter of the extra point, but Beatty wasn’t about to be denied and he drilled it through the uprights for a 37-36 lead.

It took Yarmouth just 42 seconds to drive 43 yards in six plays.

In a game like this, even 28 seconds left was plenty of time for the Capers to answer, but O’Rourke was brought down at the 35 on the ensuing kickoff and after a six-yard pass to Graham and a spike to stop the clock, O’Rourke’s final desperation pass as time expired was hauled in by LeBlanc and at 9:41 p.m., after 2 hours, 55 minutes of heartstopping action, the Clippers prevailed.

Yarmouth celebrated on the field and the student section poured on to the field to join in the fun as the Clippers put a bow on one of the signature victories in program history.

“It was just a sigh of relief at the end,” Snyder said. “That was crazy when the students ran out.”

“It was a lot of heart all around,” Cook said. “We have high character kids who don’t give up. To beat Wells, Spruce and Cape, it’s a dream run for us. To actually do it is a special feeling. In years past, we haven’t been able to beat top tier teams, so this gives us confidence. We have respect for (Cape). They were great sports. We have a great history with them. It was great to finally beat Cape on our turf.”

“I was getting a bit nervous, but our special teams coach, Jay Snyder, kept saying, ‘We’re going to win it,’ and it happened,” Veilleux added. “I think the Wells game made a difference. We learned we could come back. Winning a tight game like that was the best thing that could happen to us. I can’t say enough great things about the senior class. Outstanding athletes and outstanding kids.  

“Wells was my favorite win of the season, but this one surpassed that. There was a tremendous atmosphere here. We had terrific fan support tonight.The only problem is that I get a little grayer, a little older and my heart starts getting a little weaker after these games, but I’m tremendously happy with these kids.”

Thoma went 21 of 35 for 273 yards and three touchdowns. He also ran six times for 26 yards.

Snyder had eight catches for 77 yards and a touchdown. He also ran nine times for 55 yards and two scores. 

Not too shabby considering how the game started for him.

“That (fumble on the opening kickoff) was not good,” Snyder said. “I have great teammates picking me up, saying, ‘Next play, next play’ and that helped.”

Cook had five receptions for 91 yards and two touchdowns and ran eight times for 41 yards.

Eckersley-Ray continued his strong rookie campaign with three catches for 63 yards. Colby-George had three receptions for 26 yards. Jack Venden had one catch for nine yards and Kinsman caught one ball for seven. 

Uhl was the workhorse on the ground, gaining 70 yards on 15 carries.

Yarmouth had 439 yards of offense.

“Our offense hasn’t been performing all that well the past two games and the defense has, so this was a surprise,” Snyder said.

The Clippers did turn the ball over twice and were penalized seven times for 82 costly yards.

“We killed ourselves all game long with mental errors, mistakes, turnovers,” Veilleux lamented. “The fact we could come back from that speaks to the character of our kids. They believe in each other.”

For Cape Elizabeth, which had 417 yards, O’Rourke, who returned to football this year after not playing at all in high school, went 13 of 26 for 272 yards, three TDs and one interception. He also ran three times for 12 yards.

“I thought Jack played great,” Filieo said. “He moved the pocket well and made some big throws. He’s smart. He did some really good things tonight.”

Ingalls caught four balls, three for touchdowns, good for 136 yards. Ekedahl had six grabs for 88 yards. Guerrette had two receptions for 42 yards. Graham caught one pass for six.

Graham had a terrific game on the ground, gaining 147 yards (115 in the second half) on 22 carries with one score. Weare rushed five times for eight yards.

The Capers committed one turnover and were flagged seven times (five in the second half) for 48 yards.

“Crazy things happen here,” Filieo said. “Yarmouth executed when they had to and we didn’t. That’s what it came down to. You have to give them credit. We needed to score and I thought we would, but we only got three. We couldn’t kick it to (Cook) and we did. That was just our kids being young. It never felt comfortable. We always know they can score at any given time. We tried to still push and score as many points as we could.

“I thought it could be a shootout. They’re very athletic, we’re very athletic. I knew it would come down to athletes running around and having fun. When you play close games, it’s nice to win, but you won’t win them all. We have to learn to put teams away.”


Cape Elizabeth (second in the Class C South Crabtree Points standings) looks to get back on track when it hosts 5-2 Wells in the regular season finale Friday. Last year, the Capers lost at Wells by a decisive 49-7 margin.

“We have to get ready for Wells,” Filieo said. “We’ll recover from this, get out there and keep playing. We’ll be there at the end.”

Yarmouth projects to finish first. The Clippers close at 0-7 Freeport Saturday.

“We have to improve on mental errors, penalties, fumbles,” Snyder said. “We can clean it up. It’s just a lot of practice and repetition.”

“We want to play the best teams and I think homefield makes a big difference,” Cook said. “We had a great student section tonight and the turf helps our speed.”

“We still have a long way to go,” Veilleux added. “We still have to take care of Freeport and we know from history that anything can happen in quarterfinals and semifinals. Freeport’s a trap game. We have to keep an eye on that, but I think the kids will be fired up and ready to go. Getting the top seed would mean a lot to us. We know we’ll see Cape or Wells again if we’re fortunate enough to get that far.” 

Sports Editor Michael Hoffer can be reached at mhoffer@theforecaster.net. Follow him on Twitter: @foresports.

Yarmouth senior Jack Snyder is congratulated by senior Joey Fortin after a first half touchdown run. Snyder and his teammates rallied for a scintillating 37-36 win over visiting Cape Elizabeth in a battle of unbeatens Friday night.

Mike Strout photos.

Cape Elizabeth senior Nate Ingalls hauls in a pass despite being hounded by Yarmouth freshman Noah Eckersley-Ray.

Yarmouth junior quarterback John Thoma drops back to throw.

Cape Elizabeth junior Ben Ekedahl makes a reception on his knees.

Yarmouth freshman Noah Eckersley-Ray makes a catch despite tight coverage from Cape Elizabeth junior Brett McAlister.

Cape Elizabeth senior quarterback Jack O’Rourke scrambles away from Yarmouth senior Joey Fortin.

Yarmouth senior Cody Cook is slowed by Cape Elizabeth junior Ben Ekedahl as senior Matt Graham prepares to join the fray. Cook caught the winning touchdown pass with 28 seconds to go.

Yarmouth senior Lucas Uhl hits the hole while Cape Elizabeth senior Justin Guerrette prepares to make the tackle.

Previous Cape Elizabeth-Yarmouth results

Cape Elizabeth 31 @ Yarmouth 28
Western C quarterfinals
Yarmouth 14 @ Cape Elizabeth 12 

Yarmouth 27 @ Cape Elizabeth 7
Western C quarterfinals
Cape Elizabeth 27 @ Yarmouth 14 

Sidebar Elements


Yarmouth 37 Cape Elizabeth 36

CE- 13 14 6 3- 36
Y- 13 10 0 14- 37

First quarter
CE- McAlister 29 fumble return (kick failed)
Y- Snyder 2 run (kick failed)
CE- Ingalls 13 pass from O’Rourke (Ekedahl kick)
Y- Cook 15 pass from Thoma (Beatty kick) 

Second quarter
CE- Ingalls 81 pass from O’Rourke (kick failed)
Y- Snyder 1 run (Beatty kick)
CE- Ingalls 29 pass from O’Rourke (Ekedahl pass from O’Rourke)
Y- Beatty 43 FG 

Third quarter
CE- Graham 41 run (kick failed) 

Fourth quarter 
Y- Snyder 13 pass from Thoma (Beatty kick)
CE- Ekedahl 23 FG
Y- Cook 6 pass from Thoma (Beatty kick) 

Sports Editor of The Forecaster since 2001. Find detailed game stories at theforecaster.net. I tweet prodigiously at @foresports.