Topsham condo fire leaves owner homeless

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

TOPSHAM — Firefighters responded to a blaze at a two-story condominium unit at Merrymeeting Commons Wednesday evening.
Topsham Fire Chief Ken Brillant said the call came in at 6:05 p.m., and that the fire struck the Unit 45 home of Roberta Owens. He said Owens was in the apartment with her 5-year-old granddaughter, who was visiting for the day. Her granddaughter had lit a candle and tried to put it out when a couch caught fire, the chief said.
Firefighters from Topsham, Brunswick, Lisbon Falls and Brunswick Naval Air Station responded, while Bowdoinham and West Bath provided station coverage. The fire was knocked down by 6:30 p.m.
The entire two-story unit was damaged by heat and smoke. Brillant said the skeleton could be saved, but the interior would have to be gutted.
No one was hurt, Brillant said, and Owens is now staying in Brunswick with her sister.

0
A Maine native and Colby College graduate, Alex has been covering coastal communities since 2001, and currently handles Bath, Topsham, Cumberland, and North Yarmouth. He and his wife, Lauren, live in the Portland area, and Alex recently released his third album of original music.