- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
PORTLAND — Residents of a four-story apartment building at 12 Weymouth St. had to briefly evacuate Friday night after an unattended cooking fire filled the second floor with smoke and activated the building’s alarm and sprinkler system, Fire Department officials said.
Damage to the building was minimal, but one unidentified male resident of the building was transported to the hospital with minor injuries.
Firefighters responded at 10 p.m. Friday to the Parkside neighborhood building and stayed on the scene for about two hours.
Deputy Chief David Jackson said it could have been a very dangerous fire had it not been for the sprinkler and fire alarm system. “The systems worked exactly as they should have,” Jackson said. “The residents did what they were supposed to and we had a less serious outcome here.”