Ray M. Weymouth, Jr., 77: Life-long entrepreuner

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

TOPSHAM — Ray Milford Weymouth, Jr., 77, died June 4 after a brief illness at Maine Medical Center surrounded by his loving family.

Born in Winslow, April 13, 1934, a son of Ray and Angelina (Blais) Weymouth, he graduated from Winslow High School in 1953.

He served in the U.S. Army 78th Engineer Battalion in Karlsruhe, Germany, where he met and married his wife of 49 years, Inge Biedermann, on Feb. 2, 1962.

Returning to the U.S. in April 1962, he, his wife Inge, and daughter Andrea settled in the Boston area where he worked as a loan collector and loan officer.

In 1965 his son Robert was born in Medford, Mass.

He changed careers and became a driver for Hudson Bus Company and later on for Greyhound Bus Co. until he retired in 1981.

One of his Greyhound routes brought him through Brunswick, where he stopped at the Starlight Motel. He struck up a conversation with the motel owner and ended up buying the motel in 1973.

Six years later he and his wife bought the Interstate Oasis Motel, which became an unofficial visitor information center.

As an innkeeper, he was known for his hospitality and made lasting impressions on the people he met.

He was active in the Brunswick Chamber of Commerce, Maine Mid-Coast Association, Kiwanis Club, and was a 15-year board member of the Maine Innkeepers Association, receiving a Hall of Fame award in 2002.

After he purchased a Wells Cargo utility trailer to help his daughter move, he was so impressed with it that he bought the Maine franchise and started Interstate Trailer Sales in 1989.

In 2000 he sold the motel to Harry Patel and his son Robert took over the trailer business.

In his retirement he enjoyed driving his motor home, boating, and was a daily participant in a coffee club with his friends known as “The Brunswick/Topsham Current Affairs Association.”

Although officially retired, he still worked part-time transporting trailers and rental cars.

His family would like to extend their sincere appreciation to everyone for their loving support and assistance.

He was predeceased by a son, John Mason, and three brothers, Maurice Weymouth, Albert Fortin, and Fernan Fortin.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, Inge of Topsham; his son, Robert Weymouth and his wife Annemarie of Topsham, and his daughter, Andrea Weymouth-Fujie and her husband, Maurice of Honolulu, Hawaii; his sister, Esther Childs of Belgrade, and two brothers, Carl Weymouth and his wife, Janet of Benton, and Gerard “Pete” Fortin and his wife, Theresa of Waterville; and numerous nieces and nephews.

A funeral service was held on Wednesday, June 8, at Brackett Funeral Home, 29 Federal St., Brunswick. Burial will be at 9 a.m. Tuesday, June 14, at the Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Mt. Vernon Road, Augusta.

Memorial donations can be made to the Homeless Animal Rescue Team of Maine, a no-kill adoption and rescue center for cats, at H.A.R.T., P.O. Box 351, Cumberland, ME 04021.

Condolences can be expressed at brackettfuneralhome.com, where a video of his life can be viewed.

Sidebar Elements

Weymouth, Jr.