PORTLAND — St. Louis Catholic Church in the West End is holding a dedication ceremony this weekend in honor of the Polish immigrants that built the church, both spiritually and physically.
The church, which is still a predominantly Polish and immigrant congregation, raised money for the plaque that will be placed at the Danforth Street church. The plaque honoring the founders of the parish and the builders of the church will be unveiled Sunday, May 3 at noon. The unveiling will be accompanied by song from the church choir. There is also a picnic and other festivities planned. The neighborhood is welcome to attend.
St. Louis is located at 279 Danforth St. The church was built in 1924 by Polish immigrants. The congregation began meeting in 1915 in the basement of the former St. Dominic’s Church on Gray Street.