Portland schools release
PORTLAND — Portland’s public high schools will hold graduation ceremonies on the following dates:
• Portland Arts and Technology High School: May 21, 8:30 a.m. morning session; and 11:30 a.m. afternoon session, PATHS Building B
• Portland High School: June 2, 10:30 a.m., Merrill Auditorium.
• Casco Bay High School: June 2, 6 p.m., Merrill Auditorium.
• Deering High School: June 3, 10:30 a.m., Portland Expo.
• Portland Adult Education: June 3 at 6 p.m. in Merrill Auditorium.
Lincoln Middle hosts
carnival, E-Waste drive
PORTLAND — Students at Lincoln Middle School are hosting an upcoming carnival on Saturday, May 22 from 9 a.m. to noon.
The carnival, which is free and open to the public, will also feature an electronic waste information and drop off booth. All old electronics will be accepted for proper disposal.
On Monday, May 24, eighth grade students from Lincoln Middle will be going door-to-door in the school’s neighborhood from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to collect electronic waste.
Residents of the area wishing to participate in the E-waste drive should visit blogs.portlandschools.org/driscc/ewaste to fill out a survey and request a pick-up.
Lyman Moore hosts
benefit basketball game
PORTLAND — The Invisible Children Club at Lyman Moore Middle School is raising money for the Ntulya Primary School in Tanzania.
The club has organized a benefit basketball game with students playing against staff members on May 21 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the school gym.
Admission to the game is open to the public for $3 for students and $5 for adults. Tickets will be sold at the door on the day of the game.
For more information about the Ntulya Primary School school, please visit africaschoolhouse.org.
Questions about the fundraiser can be directed to the Invisible Children Club advisor, David Hilton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portland schools approve
new start, end times
PORTLAND — The Portland School Committee has approved a calendar for the 2010-2011 school year that sets new starting and ending times for all grades.
• Elementary school will begin at 8:55 a.m. and end at 3:05 p.m.
• Middle school will begin at 8:25 a.m.and end at 2:35 p.m.
• High school will begin at 8 a.m. and end at 2:10 p.m.
• The West School will begin at 7:30 a.m. and end at 1:30 p.m.
Portland Arts and Technology High School will keep its current schedule. The morning session will continue to meet from 8 to 10:30 a.m. and the afternoon session will continue at 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The first day of school for students in grades one through 12 is Sept. 7.
Kindergartners will start on Sept. 9.
The new schedule also includes early release Wednesdays from October through May.
A copy of the 2010-2011 school calendar is posted on the district’s website at portlandschools.org.