Portland murder victim may have been trying to keep the peace

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

PORTLAND — Richard Lobor, who was killed Nov. 21, 2014, in an apartment on Brighton Avenue, may have been acting as a peacekeeper during a dispute, according to a police affidavit filed in the Cumberland County Unified Criminal Docket.

The affidavit was released Thursday, Jan. 15, after the initial court appearance by Abdirahman Huessin Haji-Hassan, 23, who was indicted on a Class A murder charge in the shooting on Jan. 10 by a Cumberland County grand jury.

Haji-Hassan, 23, whose last residence was 133 Eben Hill Road, pleaded not guilty to the charge in front of Judge Nancy Mills. He was ordered held without bail for possible trial in June, according to court records. The documents were unsealed after the hearing, which occurred following Haji-Hassan’s extradition from Minneapolis.

The case will be prosecuted by the state attorney general’s Office. Court records indicate Haji-Hassan is represented by attorney Molly Butler-Bailey, with assistance from Clifford Strike.

The arrest affidavit filed by Police Department Detective Maryann Bailey alleged Lobor, 23, was shot first in the leg, and then in head by Haji-Hassan after he stepped between Haji-Hassan and a man police identified as Mohamed Ashkir. The argument took place in an apartment rented to Michael Deblois at 214 Brighton Ave.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Augusta determined Nov. 22, 2014, that Lobor died from a gunshot to the head. According to the affidavit, police found an ounce of crack cocaine in Lobor’s pocket after his death.

Deblois, who told police he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is a crack cocaine user, allowed Lobor, Haji-Hassan and others to use the apartment in exchange for food, drinks and drugs, according to the affidavit.

When he had visitors, they told him to stay in his bedroom, Deblois said.

Around 9 p.m. on Nov. 21, 2014, Deblois told police Lobor, Haji-Hassan, Ashkir and a man still known only as “New York” were in the apartment when Haji-Hassan pulled out a handgun and demanded Ashkir leave. Deblois, who told police he only knew the men by nicknames, said he retreated to his kitchen and grabbed a knife for self-defense after Lobor was shot in the leg.

He also said Haji-Hassan first fired one shot into the floor, though police found no evidence this occurred.

According to the affidavit, Haji-Hassan, who went by the nickname “Jordan,” was drinking rum and cola before the shooting. Police used fingerprints taken from the bottle, cans and cup, and a lineup photo, to identify Haji-Hassan, then made another identification based on a Facebook page.

The affidavit also said police were aided by Lobor’s family, who provided information that Haji-Hassan also went by the nickname “Lil Man” and had gone into hiding in New York after the shooting.

The affidavit did not explain what led police to Minneapolis, where Haji-Hassan was arrested on Dec. 19, 2014.

David Harry can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 110 or [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidHarry8.

Portland City Hall reporter for The Forecaster. Baltimore native, lived in Maine since 1989. A journalist since 2005, covering much of Cumberland and York counties. I joined The Forecaster in 2012.