Portland landlord cited for safety violations

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

PORTLAND — Gregory Nisbet, the owner of the Noyes Street building where a Nov. 1 fire killed six people, was cited Monday for violations at a multi-unit house he owns at 188 Dartmouth St.

The house is about two blocks away from 20-24 Noyes St., the scene of the fire. City spokeswoman Jessica Grondin said the inspection was made by Code Enforcement Officer Chuck Fagone and Portland Fire Department Capt. David Petrucelli after a tenant complained Dec. 10.

Grondin said the final report is still being prepared, but a complaint log filed at the city Inspections Division listed unrepaired leaks in an upstairs bathroom, mold problems, and buckets possibly used to improperly store fuel oil or kerosene.

The complaint was the sixth since July 2013. Included in the logs were allegations tenants lived in a garage without plumbing and dumped human waste on the property.

Nisbet also faces a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Noyes Street fire victim Steven Summers. Grondin said city inspectors will also inspect conditions at Nisbet’s 124 Noyes St. and 183 Dartmouth St. properties.