PORTLAND — A Forest Avenue cafe and four apartments were damaged by fire Sunday, Feb. 14.
Deputy Fire Chief John Everett said the 4:10 p.m. blaze at 430-432 Forest Ave., home to the Brea Lu Cafe, did not appear to be of suspicious origin, but the cause had not been determined as of Tuesday. There was, however, an unconfirmed report of an unattended space heater being used to thaw frozen pipes.
No one was hurt. Everett said firefighters rescued a couple of dogs from one apartment, and as many as 10 building residents were displaced.
Everett said the fire did not start in the cafe, but spread through the upper floors and into the attic. Forest Avenue was completely closed for about two hours, and firefighters were able to extinguish most of the blaze in about 40 minutes.