- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
PORTLAND — A North Waterboro man found on Gilman Street on March 22 is believed to have died from an accidental drug overdose, police said March 23.
Marcus Reed, 46, whose address was not provided by police, was found unresponsive in front of 16 Gilman St., Lt. Robert Martin said in a press release.
Martin said Reed was in an apartment at 16 Gilman when the overdose occurred. Others in the apartment tried to take him to Maine Medical Center; they called 911 after being unable to get Reed into a car.
Emergency responders were unable to revive Reed, who died at the scene, Martin said.
When an overdose occurs, police and city officials urge people to call 911 first, before administering first aid or naloxone.
“Calling 911 not only starts an ambulance, a dispatcher will give you potentially life saving instructions on what you should do while waiting,” Martin said.
Reed’s death remains under investigation. Anonymous tips can be made at portland-police.com by clicking “Submit an Anonymous Crime Tip,” or by text at 274637 using the keyword GOTCHA.