- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
SOUTH PORTLAND — Philip Thomas Lombardi, 93, of South Portland, died April 10 at the Barron Center, surrounded by his family.
He was born April 20, 1919, in Portland, a son of Sicilian immigrants Vencenzo and Lucia DeForte Lombardi. He was raised in the North End of Boston, where he attended English High School. Following that, Lombardi joined the U.S. Army and served in the Pacific theater during World War II. While he was serving his country, Lombardi’s family moved to Maine. He joined the family in Portland after the war.
In Portland, Lombardi worked as a milkman and a fisherman, and in other jobs. In 1949, he began a 25-year career with the A&P Food Store. When the A&P closed, he began working for the U.S. Postal Service. He retired from the post office at age 72.
Lombardi met his future bride at a dance. He married the former Ellen J. Feeney on Sept. 23, 1950, at St. Dominic’s Church.
He was a longtime communicant of Holy Cross Church, and was a member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Italian Heritage Club and the Portland Elks Lodge No. 188.
During his retirement he and his wife Ellen enjoyed traveling. They took trips to the Bahamas, Italy, Las Vegas and Florida, as well as many road trips throughout New England. They spent summers at their cottage on Crystal Lake in Gray, where they enjoyed entertaining family and friends. The couple also found many years of enjoyment dancing at the Elks Lodge.
Lombardi was predeceased by a sister, Antoinette DeForte, and two brothers, Anthony Lombardi and Sebastian Lombardi.
Survivors include his wife, Ellen J. Lombardi, of South Portland; two daughters, Cynthia Jean Cote and husband Marc, of Westbrook, and Karen Ellen Wyman and husband Gregory, of South Portland; a son, Philip Thomas Lombardi Jr. and wife Nancy, of Windham; eight grandchildren, and one great-granddaughter.
A Mass of Christian burial was held Tuesday at Holy Cross Church in South Portland. Lombardi was buried with military rites at Calvary Cemetery in South Portland.