It may be midsummer, the busiest and most expensive part of Maine’s golf season, but hitting the links is still very affordable for those willing to play during off-peak times at Portland-area layouts.
Twilight time – which generally starts between 1 and 4:30 p.m. at most courses – is savings time.
Here are a few examples:
• Riverside Golf Course in Portland. Saturday and Sunday after 1, nine holes with cart are $25, 18 holes $35.
• Brunswick Golf Club. Walking after 4 p.m. is $30. Carts are $10 per person for nine holes and $15 for 18 holes.
• Dunegrass in Old Orchard Beach. After 4:30 p.m., 18 holes of golf and cart for $35.
• Nonesuch River Golf Club in Scarborough. After 3 p.m., $25 walking plus $13 per person for cart.
• Spring Meadows Golf Course in Gray. After 3 p.m., $26 Monday through Thursday, $30 Friday through Sunday. Carts for 18 holes are $16 per player.
• Sable Oaks Country Club in South Portland. After 4 p.m., for 18 holes, $27 weekdays (Monday through Friday) and $30 weekends.
• Toddy Brook Golf Course in North Yarmouth. After 3 p.m., all you can play for $25 (walking) and $35 (with cart).
• Willowdale Golf Course in Scarborough. After 4 p.m., $18 unlimited play walking, $29 with cart.
• Point Sebago in Casco. After 3 p.m., with cart, $35 midweek (Monday through Thursday), $39 weekend (Friday through Sunday). Resort guests are $29 seven days a week.
Golfers can also save in many other ways.
For those not seeking a full membership but wanting a deal every time they play, Freeport Country Club offers a Plus Card that entitles purchasers to 10 nine-hole rounds for $120 (a $30 savings over 10 rounds purchased separately) and 10 18-hole rounds for $200 (a $50 savings over 10 rounds purchased separately).
Those who cringe at the thought of the punch to the wallet from taking the entire family out for a day of golf should consider Gorham Country Club. A family of four can play nine holes for $25 after 3 p.m. on weekends.
Sunset Ridge in Westbrook has a weekday Internet special of 18 holes with cart for $33 (a $6 savings off the regular price) for those mentioning they saw the Internet ad.
If 18 holes just aren’t enough, Nonesuch charges $25 for a replay round (a $15 savings for those paying $40 for their initial round on weekends).
Finally, for those expecting guests or visiting the area themselves, Sable Oaks offers an Escape Golf Package in conjunction with the Marriott Portland at Sable Oaks. The Stay and Play Package includes deluxe accommodations, one round of golf for two, and breakfast for two for $258. Nonesuch River offers packages at seven area hotels starting at $77.50 per person based on double occupancy,
A round of golf, even during the busiest part of the Maine golf season, may be less expensive than you think.