Helga Anneliese Wilson, 84: Longtime nurse, gardener, painter
SOUTH PORTLAND — Helga Anneliese Wilson, 84, of South Portland, died June 27 at her home, with her family by her side.
Wilson was born on Sept. 16, 1929, in Berlin, Germany, a daughter of Helmut and Gertrud Wolff. She attended school in Germany and moved to New York in 1947. She worked as a licensed practical nurse at St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York, and continued her nursing career in Biddeford after moving there in 1949.
She later accepted a position at the Osteopathic Hospital in Portland where she worked for 21 years, retiring in 1972. As a nurse, she was known for her compassion and was highly respected by the hospital's physicians and staff.
On Nov. 24, 1962, she married Robert T. Wilson Jr. in Portland. She was a longtime communicant of St. John the Evangelist Church of South Portland, and later, the merged parish of St. John and Holy Cross churches. She was active in the St. John choice since 1965.
Wilson was an extraordinary gardener, and was a member of the Maine Rose Society, the Maine Hosta Society and the New England Rock Garden Society. She had many other talents and was an accomplished artist who taught painting classes at the Yarmouth Adult Education program for nine years. She also was an excellent seamstress and knitter.
She was a member of the Osteopathic Hospital Golden Club. She will fondly be remembered as a person who loved babies and kittens.
She is survived by her husband Robert, of South Portland; two daughters, Monika Wilson and Bill Orcutt, of South Portland, and Heidi Wilson, of Portland; son, Alan Wilson and wife Sandra, of Mechanic Falls; six grandchildren, Calvin Wilson, Kevin Wilson, Brian Wilson, Katie Hayward, Alan Wilson Jr. and Lindsay Wilson; and eight great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours were held at Conroy-Tully Crawford South Portland Chapel, South Portland. Burial followed at New Calvary Cemetery, South Portland.
Memorial donations may be made to VNA and Hospice, 50 Foden Road, South Portland, ME 04106.