Barbara H. Arnold, 93
FREEPORT — Barbara H. Arnold, 93, of Framingham, Massachusetts, formerly of Freeport, died comfortably in her daughter’s home June 11.
She was born Feb. 23, 1921, in Mt. Vernon, New York, a daughter of Gertrude and Arthur H. Ham. She grew up in Scarsdale, New York, and summered on the family island, Hamloaf, off the coast of Harpswell. She was a graduate of Arlington Hall in Virginia and Pine Manor Junior College in Wellesley, Massachusetts. In 1942, in Scottsdale, Arizona, she married D. Duncan Arnold.
Since 1951, they made their home in Freeport, where they raised their four children. She will be remembered for her generosity, dedication to her family and her unconditional love. She was an avid gardener with her own greenhouse, enjoyed shelling near her winter home on Sanibel Island, Florida, needlepoint in quieter moments, as well as reading. She and Duncan also spent joyous time cruising the Maine coast on their boat, Draco, and in later years she would continue cruising to ports of call all over the world with her daughters.
In recent years, she had become an enthusiastic Patriots fan.
In 2002, she donated 100 acres of land in South Freeport known as, The Arnold Family Forest, to the New England Forest Foundation for conservation in perpetuity.
She was predeceased by her husband, Duncan, in 1995; daughter, Jill Arnold, in 2012; and son, Christopher D. Arnold, in 2000.
She is survived by her son, D. Russell Arnold, and wife, Mary, of Cape Elizabeth; daughter, A. Amanda Arnold, and wife, Alison M. of with whom she spent her later years; four grandchildren, Scott Burrill, and wife, Connie Clifford, Jason Burrill, Catherine Arnold Mather, and husband,Andrew, Elizabeth Arnold Tucker, and husband, Robby; and three great-grandchildren, Elias and Willa Clifford Burrill and Evie Mather.
A time of gathering and celebration of her life was held June 17 at Lindquist Funeral Home, Yarmouth. Private burial in South Freeport Cemetery.
Donations in her memory would be greatly appreciated to an emergency food pantry named A Place to Turn, 99 Hartford St., Natick, MA 01760.