Man, 4-year-old son rescued from burning Bath home
BATH — Firefighters used ladders Thursday afternoon to rescue a man and a young boy from the second floor of a burning multi-family residence on South Street in Bath.
The pair, John Tanguay, 37, and his 4-year-old-son, Nicholas, were “covered with soot” but did not appear to be badly injured, Bath Fire Chief Steve Hinds said.
Both were taken to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick for observation. The two were released after an hour.
According to Hinds, the blaze at 62 South St. had engulfed the building when firefighters arrived just after 3:30 p.m. He said the “fire was out all the windows.”
Fire crews from Bath, Brunswick, Woolwich, West Bath and Phippsburg combined to knock down the flames within 20 minutes.
“It looked like a great effort on their part,” said Brunswick Deputy Chief Jeff Emerson. “It looked like it all happened very fast.”
Firefighters remained on the scene at 4:45 p.m., spraying water into eaves.
According to tax records, the home is owned by Mickey and Teresa Brockett. No damage estimate was immediately available.
The state fire marshal’s office was headed to the scene, Emerson said.