Doris Burnie, 90: was a "Rosie the Riveter" during World War II
FREEPORT — Doris Bertie Campbell Burnie died Oct. 2, at Mercy Hospital.
Burnie was born Sept. 11, 1923, the daughter of Joseph and Geneva Campbell, the sixth of thirteen children in her family. She spent many hours during her childhood diligently working on the family farm along with her siblings, milking cows and raising hay. Her family had a hearty rural life without running water or electricity.
During World War II, Burnie moved to Portland, at age 17, to begin work retreading tires. Eventually, she became a true "Rosie the Riveter" as she gained employment as a welder on Liberty ships until the end of the war. During this time, Burnie sent her wages home to her parents to help support her family farm. She married Fred Burnie on April 26, 1941, and together they settled in South Portland where they raised their three children. As their children grew she continued her strong work ethic employed as a waitress at the Splendid Restaurant, and at Fairchild, finally retiring from Commercial Distributors in 1983.
In her retirement, she moved to Freeport Place where she soon became affectionately known as "Madame President." There she enjoyed volunteer work, spending cherished time with family and friends and cheering for the Red Sox.
She was predeceased by her husband, Fred; brothers Russell, Lee, Al and Reginal Campbell; sisters Sis, Thelma and Joanne; and her beloved granddaughter, Stacie Ann.
She is survived by her three children, Charles Burnie, and wife, Cathy, Linda Burnie, and husband, Manny, and Josephine Campbell; two brothers, Blaine Campbell, and and wife, Joan, and Phil Campbell; three sisters, Freda Oliver, Mary Gozelski and Glenna Brewer; sisters-in-law Lois Campbell and Atla Campbell; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
An hour of visitation was held Oct. 11, at Brackett Funeral Home, Brunswick, immediately followed by a memorial service at the funeral home with Rev. Ron McLaughlin officiating.
In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to Freeport Place, 4 Old County Road, Freeport, ME 03032.