Explosion in Cape Elizabeth sends man to hospital
CAPE ELIZABETH — An explosion from a small fire sent one man to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries early Wednesday morning.
Jay Moores, 42, of Saco, was clearing brush at a friend's Valley Road home when he poured gasoline from an old automobile gas tank on a small brush fire at about 8 a.m., according to Maine Public Safety Department spokesman Steve McCausland.
McCausland said the gasoline exploded, and Moores received first- and second-degree burns.
Sgt. Joel Davis of the state fire marshal's office said Cape Elizabeth fire and rescue responded and transported Moores to Maine Medical Center in Portland.
The fire was contained and the explosion was ruled an accident, Davis said.