Letter: State rep. urges use of 'Circuit Breaker'

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

Applications for refunds of up to $1,600 are available for property taxes or rent paid in 2010. The state refund program, called “Circuit Breaker,” provides middle and low-income Maine residents with a partial refund of local property taxes and/or rent paid on their primary residence.

This program is a great way to get some tax relief to Maine property owners and renters who need it most, but many people who qualify for the circuit breaker don’t know about it or don’t apply. In these tough times I encourage anyone who thinks they might qualify to call Maine Revenue Services and ask for an application.

To qualify, an applicant’s 2010 adjusted household income must be $64,950 or less ($86,600 for those with spouse or dependents). In addition, an applicant’s 2010 property tax must have been more than 4 percent (or rent more than 20 percent) of their 2010 household income. Low-income seniors do not need to meet this requirement.

Nearly 200,000 Maine households may qualify for a partial refund of local property tax assessed and/or rent they paid in 2010, according to Maine Revenue Services.

The application is available online at http://www.maine.gov/revenue/forms/tnr/tnr.htm. Call Maine Revenue Services at (207) 626-8475 for additional information.

Rep. Anne Graham
D-North Yarmouth