PORTLAND — The annual “Stars and Stripes Spectacular” returns to the Eastern Promenade Monday, July 4.
The privately funded Fourth of July celebration is capped by a 7:40 p.m. “Patriotic Pops” concert by the Portland Symphony Orchestra and a fireworks display at 9:20 p.m.
PSO Music Director Robert Moody said the concert theme will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Great Portland Fire, which began July 4, 1866, and destroyed much of the center of the city peninsula.
Featured in the concert will be “1984 Olympic Fanfare and Theme,” a medley of tunes from “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” and Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture.” The “Star Spangled Banner” will be sung by Hannah Harleen.
The full schedule of events can be found online at july4thportland.org. City spokeswoman Jessica Grondin estimated 50,000 people will attend.
Visitors are expected to carry out non-recyclable trash, and recycling bins and portable toilets will be available at several locations. Pets must be left at home, but service dogs are allowed. Sparklers are allowed, but personal fireworks are illegal in the city.
The event requires street closings and parking restrictions throughout Munjoy Hill and the East End Beach area.
Some parking areas on Cutter Street will be closed beginning at 10 p.m. Saturday, July 2. At 10 p.m. Sunday, the East End boat launch and other Cutter Street parking lots will be closed.
At 7 a.m. July 4, parking bans will include:
• Eastern Promenade, from Morning Street to Washington Avenue.
• Fort Allen Park and Cutter Street.
• Walnut Street from the Eastern Promenade to Washington Avenue.
• Mountfort Street, from Congress to Fore streets.
These streets will be closed at 10 a.m. July 4:
• Eastern Promenade from Morning to Walnut streets.
• Wilson Street from Morning Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Moody Street from Morning Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Congress Street from Morning Street to Eastern Promenade.
These streets will be closed at 11 a.m.:
• Turner Street from Morning Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Quebec Street from Emerson Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Melbourne Street from Emerson Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Montreal Street from Willis Street to Eastern Promenade.
• Walnut Street from Willis Street to Eastern Promenade.
At 4 p.m. on July 4, the entire area from Washington Avenue and Mountfort Street to the Eastern Promenade will be closed to traffic. Handicapped parking in at Fort Allen Park and on Cutter Street will be available until 6 p.m.
All closures are in effect until 11 p.m. July 4.
In the event of inclement weather, the Fourth of July celebration will be held Tuesday, July 5, with all parking restrictions still in effect.
The fireworks capping Portland’s Stars and Stripes Spectacular are scheduled to begin at 9:20 p.m. on July 4.