- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
YARMOUTH — A local legislator’s bill to provide property tax relief for Maine homeowners whose dwellings have been destroyed died in the House of Representatives last week.
After the Legislature’s Taxation Committee in February voted 8-3 not to pass LD 1610, the House voted 89-49 against the measure on March 19.
The bill was inspired by last June’s propane explosion on Gables Drive in Yarmouth, which displaced a half-dozen families.
“I am sorry to report that our bill was defeated today in the House,” Rep. Janice Cooper, the bill’s sponsor, wrote in an email to supporters. “We did get 49 bipartisan votes, which is enough to encourage me to try again in the next Legislature, if I am re-elected.”