BATH — H. Macy Whitehead, 88, died May 16.
Whitehead was born May 14, 1924, in Stratford, Conn. to the Rev. Robert Charles Whitehead and Miriam Macy Whitehead. His ties to Maine were established by his family’s involvement in the cooperative summer community called Brightwater in Phippsburg.
He dedicated most of his adult life to helping others through his work in postwar Europe, a career as a Congregational minister and later as a counselor, therapist and hospital chaplain. He worked well with children and young adults and spent much of his career involved with youth.
He met his wife, Edie Lamb, in Phippsburg and they were married for 60 years, sharing interests in music, theater, animals, the outdoors and the lives of their children and grandchildren. They were an inseparable team, sharing in the challenges of raising four children.
Whitehead always looked to the positive and spent his life inspiring people to move forward through pain, prejudice, disaster and personal tragedy. He touched countless people with his deep spirituality, natural creativity and joy of life. His great love of music, theater and story telling was a constant inspiration to himself and the people around him and he always found ways to incorporate those talents into his work and personal lives.
He loved animals and raised horses, angora rabbits and many dogs. He shared his knowledge and great respect of the earth with his children and grandchildren by composting and growing organic vegetables for food. He believed in living gently and simply on the earth. Chopping wood, spinning and knitting were his meditations.
He is survived by his wife, Edie; children Deirdre, Harris, Heather and Tom; daughters-in-law Camilla and Carla; son-in-law, Phil; and five grandchildren Celia, Kai, Sam, Bevan and Lionel.
A celebration of his life will be held on May 25 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Phippsburg Center Congregational Church.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Whitehead’s honor to The American Friends Service Committee, AFSC Development, 1501 Cherry St., Philadelphia, PA 19102.