Gridiron wins for Greely and Yarmouth; Falmouth, Freeport fall

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

Greely and Yarmouth continued their strong football seasons last weekend, while Falmouth and Freeport found themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard.

The Rangers won their second straight and improved to 2-1 after a 39-14 win at Gorham.

The Clippers are now 2-1 after rolling in their home opener, 47-17.

The Yachtsmen suffered their first loss in three games in a frustrating contest down at York, 37-14.

The Falcons fell to 1-2 after a 41-12 loss at Poland.

Getting healthy

Greely was no match for host Marshwood, the preseason favorite, in the opener, losing, 47-0, but the Rangers bounced back in week two for an easy, 54-18 home victory over Fryeburg. Friday, Greely visited Gorham and while the Rangers didn’t beat the Rams as easily as they did a year ago (69-3), they had little trouble, taking a 39-0 halftime lead and never looking back

“We went in and took care of business,” said Greely coach David Higgins.

Greely will face a much sterner test Friday, when it hosts 1-2 Westbrook. Last year, the Rangers won at the Blue Blazes, 41-8, then were upset by Westbrook in the quarterfinals, 26-19.

“I don’t know if it’s a revenge game,” Higgins said. “The Westbrook games are fun. They’re a good team and they look good on film. We’ll have our hands full to say the least.”

Yarmouth played its first two games on the road, winning, 41-0, at Gray-New Gloucester and losing a close one at Leavitt, 20-12.  Friday, the Clippers came home and after a slow start, took care of Lake Region. The Lakers kicked an early field goal and held a 3-0 lead into the second period, where Yarmouth erupted for five touchdowns. John Thomas hit Jack Snyder for a 15-yard touchdown pass to put the Clippers ahead to stay, 6-3. Arthur Chee’s 7-yard run and a two-point conversion made it 14-3. Snyder added TD runs of 19- and 15-yards and Cody Cook scored from 5-yards out for a 35-3 advantage at halftime. Henry Venden’s 6-yard run made it 41-3 after three periods. Lake Region sandwiched two fourth quarter TDs around an Arthur Chee kickoff return for a touchdown to account for the 47-17 final score.

Thoma completed 8 of 11 passes for 149 yards and a TD. Cook was the top rusher with 66 yards and a touchdown on seven carries. Snyder had five receptions for 68 yards and a score, to go with 40 yards and two TDs on just three carries.

Yarmouth stays home Friday to meet Mountain Valley (1-2). Last year, the Clippers won in Rumford, 34-0.

Shot in the foot

Falmouth, which romped at Gorham (49-0) and at home over Morse (55-14) to open the 2014 season, went to York Friday hoping to make a statement against the Wildcats, one of the league’s perennial contenders, but would be done in by eight penalties for 103 yards.

Falmouth began the game as if it was en route to another impressive performance, but ultimately, a Connor Aube touchdown was called back due to a penalty, Falmouth never could take the lead and eventually, the Wildcats’ potent rushing attack, led by bruising junior Cullen McCarty, hit its stride.

After a scoreless first period, the hosts went ahead for good just two plays into the second when senior quarterback Cole Merritt scored on a short run. McCarty then stretched the lead, scoring on TD runs of 3- and 74-yards and just like that, York had opened up a 20-0 advantage.

The Yachtsmen appeared to turn the tide late in the half, when, after recovering a fumble in Wildcats’ territory, they got on the board courtesy a short run from senior quarterback Noah Nelson.

Coming into the second half, Falmouth looked to ride that momentum, but York broke its spirit with a 10-play, 68-yard drive, capped by another touchdown run from McCarty and the lead was 27-6. The Wildcats added a field goal and even though Yachtsmen junior George Gilbert returned the ensuing kickoff 91 yards to paydirt, Falmouth could get no closer. York tacked on one more TD in the fourth quarter and slammed the door on an impressive 37-14 victory.

The Wildcats got 236 yards and three touchdowns on 33 carries from McCarthy, improved to 3-0 and dropped the Yachtsmen to 2-1.

“First of all, York played a great game,” Falmouth coach John Fitzsimmons said. “They ran the ball well. We proved we could move the ball and play with them, but we let our emotions get in the way. We had untimely penalties and errors. I thought the penalties threw the guys out of their composure and we paid a price for it.”

The Yachtsmen return home Friday to face Oceanside (0-3). Last year, Falmouth won at Oceanside, 58-6.

“I’m confident we’ll bounce back,” Fitzsimmons said. “We’re too good of a team for that not to happen.”

Early hole

Freeport was coming off its first win, 32-14, over visiting Gray-New Gloucester (the Falcons lost at Spruce Mountain in the opener, 59-14), but Poland took a quick 14-0 lead and Freeport wasn’t able to rally. The Falcons did score when Eli Fox hit Tyler Julian for a long touchdown, but the Knights went up, 28-6, at halftime and went on to a 41-12 triumph.

Freeport is back home Saturday to face powerhouse Wells (2-1, after a 49-7 home win over Cape Elizabeth). Last year, the Warriors handled the visiting Falcons, 40-23.

Sports Editor Michael Hoffer can be reached at Follow him on Twitter: @foresports.

Sidebar Elements

Falmouth’s Connor Aube looks for some running room during last week’s 37-14 loss at York.

Sports Editor of The Forecaster since 2001. Find detailed game stories at I tweet prodigiously at @foresports.