- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
FREEPORT — Firefighters found a smoky scene at an L.L. Bean warehouse today but Freeport Deputy Chief Raymond Smith said the fire in a paper baler was quickly extinguished.
The call to the warehouse on LL Street came around 10:25 a.m., and Smith said the building had already been evacuated when firefighters arrived. He estimated it took 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, which was contained in the baler unit.
Smith said Yarmouth firefighters and Bean employees helped ventilate the building after the fire was extinguished by turning on fans and opening windows.
“The challenge was removing the smoke,” he said, noting the warehouse complex covers about five acres.
A baler malfunction is being investigated and Smith said the fire was accidental. The scene was cleared by about noon.