Former Maine Senate Majority Leader Nancy Randall Clark of Freeport dies at 77

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 1

FREEPORT — Nancy Randall Clark, a community leader for decades and the first woman to serve as Maine Senate majority leader, died late Monday night, Dec. 28, at her home on Randall Road in South Freeport.

She was 77. Her longtime caretaker, Tamantha Wilson, was with her.

The Rev. David Bowling of the South Freeport Congregational Church, where Clark was a lifetime member, said Wednesday that a memorial service for Clark will be held at the church. Bowling said he would confer Thursday with Clark’s sister, Virginia Edwards, on a day and time for the service.

Bowling said Clark’s health had been in a gradual decline.

“She had just traveled to Atlanta six months ago for a Grange conference,” Bowling said. “She held just about every position at the church. She was a force of nature.”

Clark, who taught at Freeport High School, was past president of the Freeport Woman’s Club, and held the position of master at the Harraseeket Grange, where she led a drive to restore the building. She also belonged the Freeport Elders Association, was a former board member of Freeport Community Services, a member of the Eastern Star and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Clark was a state legislator from 1972 to 1992. A Democrat, she was elected state Senate majority leader in 1991.

Bowling said Clark had a take-charge attitude.

“When something was going awry in the church, she would just tell people to move on and get over it,” he said. “She was a problem-solver.”

Bowling said a committal service for Clark will be held in the spring at the South Freeport Cemetery.

Wilson, who lived with Clark for 30 years, was a former student.

“You learned so much from her,” Wilson said. “You were there to learn. She was old-school. I just feel so blessed that she was part of my life.”

Nancy Randall Clark at the Harraseeket Grange in Freeport. Clark, the first woman to serve as Maine Senate majority leader, died Monday, Dec. 28, 2015.