CUMBERLAND — Independence Day fireworks started a fire in a tree that also damaged a home at 25 Crossing Brook Road, police reported Tuesday.
Authorities were notified of the incident at 9:02 p.m. Monday, Chief Charles Rumsey said. A “fairly large crowd” in the neighborhood had been watching a fireworks display, he said, when a fireworks tube tipped over, shooting a firework into a tree, which then caught fire and spread to a nearby home.
Firefighters extinguished the fire in about an hour. Vinyl siding on the house melted, and homeowner Julie Klippert was reportedly asleep in the home when the fire broke out, but there were no injuries, Rumsey said.
Neighbors established a donation page at https://www.gofundme.com/klippert to help the Klippert family raise money for home repairs.