Fire destroys Bath apartment, damages others

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

BATH — A dryer vent and gas grill are being blamed for a fire that destroyed a Windjammer Way apartment and damaged two others late Monday night.

The one-alarm blaze, which started at Maritime Apartments in unit 20D, was called in at 11:27 p.m.

Fire totalled the unit and damaged neighboring units C and E, Bath Fire Chief Steve Hinds said Tuesday.

Unit E sustained roof damage, while C had damage to the second floor ceiling and attic space up to the roof.

Although all of the units were occupied, no one was hurt, Hinds said.

Fifteen people had to evacuate, and they have been assisted by the American Red Cross in finding temporary shelter.

The blaze started in a dryer vent that goes outside, where a propane gas grill also caught fire. It took firefighters from Bath, Brunswick and West Bath about a half hour to knock put the fire out, and digging out and cleanup took until about 3:45 a.m. Tuesday.

People can go back into Units C and E “shortly,” Hines said, noting that D would have to be rebuilt.

Red Cross volunteers and Bath residents Judy Hamer and Jennifer Ramos responded to meet the emergency needs of those impacted by the fire, according to a Red Cross press release. The agency was continuing to work with those residents Tuesday to make sure their immediate needs are met.

Alex Lear can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 113 or alear@theforecaster.net. Follow him on Twitter: @learics.

0