FALMOUTH — Plummer-Motz School was closed today after a small fire blamed on a malfunctioning heater did minimal damage early Friday morning.
The Fire-EMS Department said an alarm sounded at the school at 2:10 a.m. and a police officer who responded found the fire burning on a table inside the building. Firefighters who arrived two minutes later quickly extinguished the fire in the school lobby. Damage was contained to the table and the wall near the heater.
The building at 192 Middle Road was ventilated with fans to remove smoke, but classes were canceled to allow clean-up and repairs. The school is expected to reopen Monday.
Portland Fire Department Ladder 4 assisted the Falmouth crews.
A Siemens Corp. worker Friday examines the burned-out heater that started a small fire early in the morning at Plummer-Motz School in Falmouth.