FALMOUTH — The state fire marshal determined Wednesday morning that a house fire Tuesday afternoon was caused by an electrical problem.
Falmouth Fire Chief Howard Rice Jr. said the fire started under the basement stairs of the 130-year-old farmhouse at 206 Gray Road.
The fire was called in at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday by a passerby who noticed smoke coming from the house, Rice said. Firefighters found a large farmhouse on fire and additional firefighters from Cumberland and Portland were called to help fight the blaze.
The fire was contained within an hour and caused extensive interior damage in the basement and in a first-floor kitchen.
No one was home at the time, Rice said. No one was injured and firefighters saved three fish and one cat.
Because hoses had to be run across the street to a hydrant, Route 100 was closed for nearly two hours.