Dryer fire damages Portland Center for Assisted Living

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

PORTLAND — No one was reported injured after a Saturday morning fire forced a partial evacuation of the Portland Center for Assisted Living at 68 Devonshire St.

Fire Department spokesman Timothy Nangle said firefighters found a fire in a laundry dryer. The alarm was called at 11:14 a.m., and the fire was quickly extinguished with damage only to the dryer.

Residents living above the laundry room were sheltered behind an interior fire door and not forced to leave the building, according to Deputy Chief William Flynn.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes after the smoke was cleared. Firefighters were on the scene for almost an hour. Damage was estimated to be about $5,000. The cause of the fire is not considered suspicious, Nangle said.