Cumberland council sets tax rate, appoints clerk

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

CUMBERLAND — The Town Council on Monday set the tax rate for fiscal 2011 and to appointed a new town clerk.

The new rate, $15.30 per $1,000 of property valuation, is an increase of 75 cents, or a little more than 5 percent, Town Manager Bill Shane said. The municipal and county sides of the rate, about 30 percent, were flat, while the school side makes up the other 70 percent.

Shane noted that the school increase stems from a loss of state revenue, since the School Administrative District 51 operating budget is flat for the third year in a row.

The council also appointed Deputy Town Clerk Tamara O’Donnell to the job of town clerk, election warden and registrar of voters. O’Donnell will replace Nadeen Daniels as clerk on Aug. 19.