Court documents claim dispute preceded Portland murder

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

PORTLAND —A 21-year-old Portland man made his first appearance in court Friday, Feb. 19, to answer to a murder charge.

Moses Okot was charged Feb. 18 by Portland police with murder in connection with the shooting death of Serge Mulongo, according to police Capt. Ted Ross.

He was the second person charged in the death of Mulongo, 24, who was killed Feb. 10 on a porch at 218 Park Ave.

On Feb. 12, Portland police arrested Daudoit Butsitsi, 24, and charged him with killing Mulongo.

Both men were being held early this week, pending bail hearings. They will not be arraigned until after the cases go before a grand jury later this month.

According to police affidavits in support of the arrests, Butsitsi shot at Mulongo several times as Mulungo left 218 Park Ave. Two other men leaving at the same time were not injured.

One of the men, who was not identified in the affidavit because he fears for his safety, was reportedly chased by Butsitsi down Park Avenue. The witness told police he saw Butsitsi put the gun under a bush at Terroni’s Market, and discard a pair of latex gloves in a nearby parking lot.

Police later recovered a .45-caliber handgun under the bush, and latex gloves from the parking lot at 190 Park Ave.

Police said they matched Butsitsi’s DNA from a water bottle he used at the police station to DNA found on the latex gloves.

According to the affidavit, Okot obtained the gloves at the Gulf Mart at 754 Congress St. just a short time before Mulongo was shot on Park Avenue. Police say Okot can be seen on store video with the gloves.

Police also said that, based on witness information, Okot drove the getaway car.

Mulongo was a native of the Democratic Republic of Congo, as is Butsitsi. The two men had an altercation earlier in the day Feb. 10, according to the affidavit, when Mulongo reportedly punched Butsitsi several times through the window of the car Butsitsi was driving.

Okot is a brother of David Okot, the man police fatally shot in April on Weymouth Street. Mulongo was murdered just two blocks away, at the corner of Weymouth and Park Avenue. The Okots are originally from Sudan.

Kate Bucklin can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 106 or [email protected]

Sidebar Elements