Sun, Apr 20, 2014 ●
BathHarpswellTopshamBrunswickCumberlandNorth YarmouthFalmouthFreeportPortlandCape ElizabethScarboroughSouth PortlandChebeague IslandYarmouth

Topsham condo fire leaves owner homeless

News Briefs

Topsham condo fire leaves owner homeless

TOPSHAM — Firefighters responded to a blaze at a two-story condominium unit at Merrymeeting Commons Wednesday evening.
Topsham Fire Chief Ken Brillant said the call came in at 6:05 p.m., and that the fire struck the Unit 45 home of Roberta Owens. He said Owens was in the apartment with her 5-year-old granddaughter, who was visiting for the day. Her granddaughter had lit a candle and tried to put it out when a couch caught fire, the chief said.
Firefighters from Topsham, Brunswick, Lisbon Falls and Brunswick Naval Air Station responded, while Bowdoinham and West Bath provided station coverage. The fire was knocked down by 6:30 p.m.
The entire two-story unit was damaged by heat and smoke. Brillant said the skeleton could be saved, but the interior would have to be gutted.
No one was hurt, Brillant said, and Owens is now staying in Brunswick with her sister.

More stories like this: topsham, fire chief ken brillant