Cheverus stuns Brunswick in OT

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

BRUNSWICK—An instant classic.

That’s the best way to describe Cheverus’ 9-8 overtime win to hand top-ranked Brunswick its first loss of the season in Saturday afternoon’s Eastern Class A semifinals on Tom Lawson’s game winning goal 1:41 into the extra frame.

“I just saw the opening and took it,” said Lawson. “It was a great team play getting the ball up the field.

Brunswick coach Don Glover wished he wasn’t a coach for this game.

“It was a great game, I wish I wasn’t in the coach’s box,” said Glover. “I wish I was in the stands so I can sit back and enjoy it.”

The Stags quickly got out to a 1-0 lead 62 seconds into the game.

“The guys were playing with a lot of confidence,” said Cheverus coach Deke Andrew. “The bottom line was they were loose and having fun. There’s no question Brunswick is the best team we faced this year.”

The Dragons tied the contest up on Cameron Glover’s tally just a little over a minute later.

The first quarter would end tied at two apiece after Lawson got his first goal of the game with 3:41 remaining in the quarter and Winston Sullivan tied it up with 2:22 remaining.

“We talked about their record didn’t matter, we are both good teams,” Lawson said.

Sullivan gave Brunswick the 3-2 lead at the 9:02 mark of the second quarter which was assisted by Ryan Poag. Cheverus answered in the next minute with a goal by Cam Olson.

The Dragons took the 4-3 lead at half on Seth Holmblad’s marker with 37 seconds remaining.

Sullivan gave Brunswick its first two-goal lead 3:21 into the third quarter. Brent Green responded for Cheverus 1:13 later.

Sullivan’s fourth goal of the game came at the 5:41 mark and made it 6-4. The Stags closed within one with a goal with 27 seconds left in the third quarter.

“The biggest thing emotionally is making the guys understand as a coach you aren’t concerned,” Andrew said, of Brunswick getting out to a couple two-goal leads.

Once again Cheverus tied it up when Cody O’Brien – a defenseman – rushed up the field and bounced a shot past James Wilgus.

Brunswick responded again at the 2:03 mark of the fourth quarter with a Poag goal, which was assisted by Sullivan.

Cheverus answered with consecutive goals from Warren Murray and Lawson to go on top.

“You are just telling the guys give everything what they have in the final couple of minutes,” said Andrew. “

The Dragons notched the game up when Winston Sullivan capturing his fifth goal of the match at the 8:03 mark.

That set the stage for overtime and Lawson’s heroics.

Colm Pusey made 13 saves for Cheverus and Wilgus made 12 saves for Brunswick.

“I had a great group of kids this year, we had an awesome team, and the leadership by the seniors was (great),” Glover said. “

Cheverus (10-4) will go to No. 3 Deering (9-5) in the Eastern A Final Wednesday at a time to be announced. The Stags have played their home games on Deering’s turf this spring, so it won’t feel like a road game. In the season opener April 13, Cheverus edged the Rams, 4-2.

The winner of that game will face either Kennebunk or two-time defending champion Scarborough in the Class A Final Saturday at 5:30 p.m., at Fitzpatrick Stadium in Portland.