CAPE ELIZABETH — Classes at Cape Elizabeth Middle School are expected to resume Wednesday after the school was closed Tuesday morning because of a small fire in a dryer and lingering smoke.
According to a notice on the school website, the situation was handled smoothly, with teachers assisting students in the dismissal process. All the students were bused home at 10 a.m.
Superintendent of Schools Alan Hawkins said no one was hurt and the school will reopen Wednesday.
“The school was closed because of the smoke,” he said. “We were worried about children who have asthma.”
Students at Pond Cove Elementary School, which shares a building with the middle school, were not affected by the fire. High school staff prepared bag lunches for delivery to the Pond Cove students.