Brunswick girls roll to another win

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

BRUNSWICK—It was a slow start by the Brunswick girls’ lacrosse team Thursday night against Lewiston, but the Dragons’ experience propelled them a 16-5 victory in the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference matchup.

“(Coach) Caputi said it was a tale of two games,” said Brunswick senior attacker Suzannah Smith.

The Blue Devils (3-1) didn’t wait long as Mariah Carrier fired a shot past Molly Herman 23 seconds into the contest, with Lauren Lessard setting up the goal. Nearly a minute later, Natalie Rousseau found the back of the net to give Lewiston the early 2-0 advantage. Kelsey Dumond notched the Blue Devils’ third goal six minutes in.

“We weren’t in the game mentality, we just got out of school,” said Brunswick midfielder Dakota Foster. “We weren’t focused.”

The Dragons (4-0) answered quickly after Lewiston’s third goal as Anne Kelly notched her first of four goals of the contest at the 6:20 mark of the first half. Just past the 11 minute mark, Foster cut into the Devils lead to 3-2 where Butch Dow, who was acting as Lewiston’s head coach called a timeout.

“What I wanted to do when it was 3-2, I wanted the girls to keep their composure and not get (overconfident) to continue to play like we were,” said Dow.

The timeout seemed to do the trick as Kayla Hamel was able to beat Herman at the 12:12 mark with Lessard picking up her second assist.

Foster would be a thorn in Lewiston’s side as she answered for the Dragons third goal.

“I do think we have that experience on our side, we have that competitive thing going on,” longtimelBrunswick coach Beth Caputi stated. “It was going to be impossible for (Lewiston) to solve the draw. Because Dakota had the height and she really does have a good stick.”

Lessard then restored the two-goal lead to make it 5-3 right before the 16-minute mark with Hamel returning the favor with an assist of her own.

Smith started the Dragons’ comeback notching with a tally at the 19:19 mark of the opening half. Anne Kelly would start to heat up with two goals late in the first half to give Brunswick the 6-5 advantage of heading to halftime.

“We started to get shaken up because we shook them up in the first half,” said Dow. “(Brunswick) got their composure back and shook us up and we had a hard time getting our rhythm back to keep the play going. They have had more experience and this is the first time we were able to play on a even keel with them in the first half.”

Brunswick continued to step on the gas pedal in the second half scoring ten unanswered goals.

Kelly added one more goal in the second half at the 27 second mark. Smith added five more goals in the second half and Foster tallied four more goals to her totals.

Despite the lopsided score, Caputi was impressed with the Lewiston’s club.

“They were much faster and more athletic then I anticipated,” said Caputi. “To me, this is the most athletic Lewiston team we have played in a long time. I never thought the second half would go like that.”

Sam Cote made 15 saves in net for Lewiston while Herman was able to stop seven Lewiston shots for Brunswick.

“Molly (Herman) got in a grove and made a nice couple of stops in the second half,” Caputi stated.