- Police Beat
- The Forecaster
BATH — Thirteen days after a South Street fire threatened the lives of a father and his son, the City Council on Wednesday issued a proclamation praising five firefighters who went to the rescue.
John Tanguay and his 4-year-old son, Nicholas, were trapped on the building’s third floor at 62 South St. when the Feb. 20 fire started. Fire Chief Stephen Hinds, Capt. Christopher Cummings, and firefighters Shaun Riley, Clifford Newell and Joseph McCole arrived within four minutes of the call to save Tanguay and his son.
An accidental kitchen fire caused the blaze, and the building sustained about $70,000 in damage, Hinds said on Wednesday.
Mutual aid came from Brunswick, Mid Coast Hospital, Phippsburg and Woolwich, according to the proclamation, which noted that “the selfless actions of these Bath … firefighters represented the high ideals of the Bath Fire Department and is a true example of heroism, valor, bravery and compassion, utilizing incredible speed, strength, and skill, which is a testimony to their thousands of hours of training.”
Later in the meeting the City Council unanimously approved first passage of a contract between the city and the Bath Police Department Union. The three-year pact is retroactive to July 1, 2013, due to a delay in the two parties coming to an agreement, according to City Manager Bill Giroux.
The contract, which must have a second council vote, grants a 2 percent raise retroactive to the start of this year, and 1.5 percent increases at the start of 2015 and 2016.
The union has given preliminary approval to the pact, Giroux said.