3-year contract with Brunswick teachers includes pay hike

  • Mail this page!
  • Delicious
  • 0

BRUNSWICK — The School Board unanimously approved a three-year contract that includes pay increases for school employees.

Under the previous two-year contract, the Brunswick Education Association had agreed to a one-year freeze in wages.

All three years of the contract contain regular step increases. In addition, employees will receive salary increases of 1.57 percent in year one, 1.99 percent in year two, and 0.9 percent in year three.

The raises amount to an average of 1.49 percent per year.

Board members approved the deal after discussing it during a closed-door executive session on April 11.

After the vote, Superintendent Paul Perzanoski praised the teachers union.

“I want to thank the BEA for all their work and diligence with this,” he said. “I think this contract is indicative of the collaboration that has happened historically.”

Perzanoski also said the contract would support a high-quality education for the School Department’s students.

“I think that it also will make our district continue to be competitive in hiring the best possible teachers to come and work in Brunswick,” Perzanoski said.

The contract also establishes a split between employees and the department for health insurance co-pays.

For all three years, employees will pay 15 percent of their co-pay, while the School Department will pay the remaining 85 percent, Perzanoski said.

The board also voted unanimously to grant a retirement incentive to John Paige, principal at Robert P. T. Coffin Elementary School.

Perzanoski also outlined the other significant changes under the agreement.

“We have some changes in language under reduction in force,” he said.”… We need to change retiree hire options to meet new state statutes.”

In addition, said Perzanoski, there will be some changes to the education requirements for teachers.

“The requirement for the completion of the masters degree in eight years after hire has been removed,” he said.

Perzanoski also noted that the salary scale for nurses will now be the same as the existing salary scale for teachers. 

Board Chairman James Grant thanked Perzanoski and the BEA for their roles in the negotiations.

He singled out the BEA for “helping us to agree to some of the language and showing us some other alternatives.”

Matt Hongoltz-Hetling can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 123 or matthh@theforecaster.net. Follow him on Twitter: @hh_matt.

0